The purpose of the Construction Room is to advance site productivity, lower construction costs, and improve construction safety through the use of BIM and the application of open data standards.
The steering committee is led by representatives of one of buildingSMART’s strategic members. The steering committee facilitates the development of the work plan for the room and engagement of the construction industry. It also leads the room sessions at buildingSMART Summits, interacting with the Standards Committee and ensuring the buildingSMART Process is followed.
- Advance the digitalization of construction
- Develop site environment best practices based on openBIM
- Provide openBIM education to the construction industry
- Incorporate forward-looking construction technologies into the development of open construction solutions and standards
Current Project and Activities
The Construction Room is pursuing requirements for construction solutions and standards in a number of areas, including:
- Construction Information Management
- Integrated BIM Project Management
- 4D/5D modeling
- BIM and the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Machine automation
- APIs for BIM, related software, advanced construction technologies
- Use of reality capture and modeling in the construction process
- Codes and standards across the supply chain