The Technical Room has overall responsibility to explore and coordinate the investigation and where desirable facilitate buildingSMART’s engagement with fundamental technical advancements which may enhance or accelerate the provision of robust openBIM solutions to users. The Technical Room’s specific remit is the coordination of the core technical development of the IFC model and associated technical standards to safely, rigorously and in a commercially viable manner support the development of openBIM to fully meet users’ needs and ambitions.
The Technical Room is led by members of industry and academia. The steering committee facilitates the project and activities of the room and the buildingSMART groups it sponsors while developing a Technology Road Map for buildingSMART International.
- Pursue innovative programs to align with the fast-moving digitization of the industry
- Ensure buildingSMART benefits from that latest technical research and advances from university or industry and develops an active technical community
- Continuously develop, improve and maintain the IFC specification and support its implementation in IFC compatible software
- Proactively support interfaces with other standards and working platforms such as geospatial and web standards.
- Develop workflow enabling toolkits
- Enable strategic implementations of buildingSMART standards
Current Projects and Activities
- Ongoing maintenance and enhancement of the bSI standards and associated tools
- Implementation Support Group: To promote the use of bSI standards enabling digital workflows for the exchange of built asset data among different software products and platforms.
- Model Support Group: To develop, maintain, and improve buildingSMART data model standards, such as the IFC schema, and related specifications and tools.
- Software Certification Group: To develop and deploy the certification systems and requirements.
- IfcDoc: To improve the consistent and computer-interpretable definition of Model View Definitions (MVD) as true subsets of the IFC Specification with enhanced definition of concepts
- Linked Data Working Group: To develop and maintain a recommended ifcOWL ontology for use in linked data and semantic web applications that consume IFC data
- Digital Twins: Define a framework for buildingSMART’s role and associated technologies
- IDM Toolkit Project: To create a simple application for industry professional to define their BIM processes (uses cases) based on the IDM methodology and support the use of machine-readable IDMs
- MVDLite: To develop an approach for a light-weight MVD Language to lower the knowledge threshold needed in developing MVDs and provide for faster approvals.